The Eastern Canadian Organic Seed Growers Network (ECOSGN) is organizing a field trip to Greta’s Organic Gardens on Wednesday August 25th.
Greta Kryger is a staple at most Seedy Saturdays and Sundays across Quebec and Ontario. Her seeds are also available through her on-line seed catalogue. Greta grows all her own tomato, pepper, eggplant, and melon seed in addition to as many other species as she can fit in to her gardens.
Greta’s Organic Gardens began as a market garden in 1991. She began saving seeds and selling at the Ottawa and Toronto Seedy Saturdays in 1992-1993. In the late nineties, she switched from market gardening to 100% seed production. Her production was certified organic in 2003. This year, Greta has begun to host a seed production internship.
Wednesday August 25 2010 from 9:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- 9:30 a.m. Welcome with tea and coffee
- 10:00 a.m. Growing seed for other seed companies. Sample contracts will be provided. (led by Dan Brisebois of Tourne-Sol cooperative farm.)
- 10:45 a.m. Field Tour
- Noon Lunch (provided by Greta)
- 1:00 p.m. Seed cleaning demonstrations
- 2:00 p.m. Visit larger seed production fields 4750 Ramseyville road.
- 3:00 p.m. Day wraps up
- Greta’s Organic Gardens
- 399 River road, Ottawa, ON
- K1V 1C9
Fee: 15$ (includes lunch)
RSVP by phone: 613-521-8648, or e-mail: email@example.com