Rowen White talks about corn and squash seed keeping in episode 5 of The Seed Growers Podcast.
Here are some of the highlights of the corn conversation:
• Isolating corn in time and space to avoid cross pollination
• Differences in growing corn for stock seed vs bulk seed
• Evaluating small corn lots to evaluate if varieties need more genetic diverity
• Population crosses of similar varieties to broaden genetic diversity
• Selecting corn throughout the growing season
• When corn is ready to harvest
• Stewarding corn to maintain diversity in an ever changing world
And the squash conversation
• Growing different squash species that don’t cross with each other
• Creating modern grexes to create really diverse breeding pools – specifically for Kabocha squash.
• Splitting squash by hatchet to extract the seed
• Fermenting squash seed to make seed cleaning easier
• Water winnowing squash seed
• Selecting squash at home in the kitchen
Germination rates and dormancy
Go and listen to the full episode to get all the details!
You can listen on
- Apple Podcasts
- Or use this RSS feed to subscribe in your podcast player of choice: https://feeds.libsyn.com/412058/rss
The Seed Growers podcast is produced in part by No-Till Growers with the help of the show’s sponsors The Bauta Family Initiative on Canadian Seed Security and The Organic Seed Alliance